Sunday, July 30, 2006

Somethins not working

Okay...someone please enlighten me. How do "accidents" happen when it comes to getting pregnant. I was paranoid when I got married that I was going to get pregnant immediately...and I did not want to be the one to have a honeymoon baby or worse yet, a baby 9 months later and people would be all...now was that before or after the honeymoon baby. Ya, stupid, I know. But I am a pastors kid after all, and you don't want people talking about you unneccesarily. It just wouldn't go over well. So I did what most young ladies do, I went on the pill and followed the rules in the package strictly. I was aware of all the things that could make the pill ineffective...antibiotics, missing 3 days in a row etc. etc.
I was one of those lucky people who, after 2 years of marriage, we decided we were ready and within 3 months we were expecting Riley. Immediately after his delivery I went on the pill you can take when you're nursing...cuz heaven forbid I'd have to go through another labor that year!! And then a year and a half later, I went off and got pregnant within 3 months again with Liam. (I know...we are really blessed!!) I know that things don't always happen so easily for others, so we are thankful. But my question is....do people really think that breastfeeding is birth-control? or do people have a hard time remembering the pill? or do people take antibiotics and don't remember the warning on the package of pills that says...this could interfere with the birth control pill? I'm just wondering. I have no idea. Isn't the pill 99% effective? maybe they aren't on the pill and are doing that one-ie and a two-ie...the rhythm method or whatever its called. Or maybe they are using faulty condoms. I personally don't trust that method enough. Hmm. In some ways maybe a "surprise" baby would be fun..stir things up a little. Send all the plans you did have for the year shoot right out the window. Cuz having a baby is HUGE! Let me tell you. Not only physically, but emotionally. It changes everything. In fact, its so life altering, I'm surprised that we're capable of doing it more than once. I remember thinking that when I was pregnant with my second baby. I can't believe I am doing this again...is it possible that I can experience so much excitement/growth/joy/pain/anticipation/uncertainty/sleeplessness/fear/fun...all over again!? And, by the way, Yes, it is!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew one girl in and she said she could feel when she ovulated and did try birth control and was kinda an emotional train wreck on the thing. So when she got married... they went by when she felt she was ovulating and yep... got pregers right away! I'm not sure why people risk it but it is exciting.... I guess. Watch me have an unexpected pregnancy when I get married for saying this now.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more!!!

Anonymous said...

My boss used to work for planned parenthood with teens and spent 6 years educating them on birthcontrol, and I am always telling her "listen, it is not that easy to get pregnant"-she looks at me baffled, but I really agree with you...I think you really have to ignore and be completely-duh to get pregnant on a whim-unexpectedly...and even then I still think it's not that easy...

Anonymous said...

You CAN chart instead of birth control (not the rhythm method), and use temperatures to know when you are ovulating...

Are you pregnant???

:)

Sarah said...

No. I am not. Sorry if that post made it sound like I was! Opps!!